Friday, May 28, 2010

Is it Fiber Friday again?

Oh, the stories I could share with you from this past week! Well, I could. Except I never had a camera. Not even once. So I could tell you, but there's that whole "pics or it didn't happen" thing. Alpaca rack? Stripper pole? See? You'd never believe it. Luckily, I have friends who had cameras. You'll just have to find them. (hint: check the link at the end of this post)

Anyway, I need to spin some more merino/alpaca so I can finish the 3-ply I was working on last week but thought I'd share this tip with you. Both my Joy and the Scholar I use for plying have built in lazy kates. More than a few spinners really don't like using these built ins (they're not tensioned or positionable) but I don't mind. They're right there and convenient for me. The only issue is there are only two posts, enough for a 2-ply but not a 3-ply. No problem. I stick an empty toilet tissue tube on my ball winder to wind off one of the singles onto. Then I pop that on an upright paper towel holder with a heavy ceramic bottom. Presto!



While folding laundry, I noticed some of our handknit dishcloths are looking a little ratty. I pulled out some Sugar 'n Cream (countryside ombre colorway) that I snagged from someone at a spinning guild meeting. First, I whipped out a grandma's favorite/diagonal dishcloth (Google it). And then I found this bee stitch variation. I really like the texture!




This post brought to you by Fiber Arts Friday, hosted by WonderWhyGal

4 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

So, lot's of people knit wash cloths. I find that interested... mostly 'cuz I haven't yet.

What type of yarn do you use? Cotton?

And, I keep hearing about the alpaca stripper pole, but can't say I've seen it yet.

WonderWhyGal said...

You are so creative! I love the dishcloths...I have yet to knit one although I have tons sitting in my kitchen. Much like socks, I seem to get dishcloths gifted to me too.

Kathryn, the "Alpaca Stripper Pole" is the pole my shearer uses to "tie" the alpaca down for shearing. The ZPDK found it very amusing...and their take on the day was very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing, Spinny!

Unknown said...

Spinny, thanks so much for sharing that dishcloth pattern. I noticed that a lot of mine were ratty too and I was going to use my old standby Grandma's Favorite when I saw your tweet on Friday. I have made 4 since Saturday. I lurve,lurve,lurve this pattern!

AllyB said...

Hey Shannon! You are the lucky winner of my blog contest. Please contact me...allybelser at comcast dot net...with your address.