Friday, July 23, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday: the tree in my front yard

There were supposed to be a couple pictures here. I was planning on starting this out with a link to this old post of mine, with the pic (all the way at the end) of some of my very first handspun, hanging on a hanger from branches of the tree in my front yard. And then I was going to add a nice pic of these two yarns (alpaca/merino/tencel on left, cashmere/silk on right from the wheel and spindle pics of last week's FAF), also hanging out to dry on the tree.

But I forgot to take a pic when they actually were hanging on hangers from branches of the tree in my front yard. And now there's yet another severe thunderstorm (it's been almost non-stop severe thunderstorm and tornado watch/warning since just after noon yesterday) going on out there. My yarn is already dry. I like it that way. Plus, I'm not too keen on getting up close and personal with lightening. Just pretend there are pics of new yarn hanging from the tree

here

Why? Because, I wanted to show my yarns off at our Barnes and Noble knit night on Weds.. But they weren't yet dry after wet finishing them on Tuesday and leaving them hanging all night. It was a nice warm day and I decided to hang them from the tree out front, which I hadn't done in so long I can't even remember. I took the yarns on their hangers and stood in the same area where I hung my first yarns. Reached up my arms, stretched them as high as they would go, went up on tip toes, stretched more, stared stupidly up at the tree with hangers of yarn in my hands. And then, it finally hit me. I have been spinning long enough that I can no longer reach any branches of the tree in my front yard to hang my yarns on.

This post brought to you by Fiber Arts Friday, hosted by WonderWhyGal

(Happy Birthday, Graham!)

2 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

Darn that tree for growing out of your reach! I did create myself a lovely mental photo though :)

WonderWhyGal said...

What a lovely story. I would love to see some of your first yarns. I remember when you taught me to first spin on my drop spindle and you told me to keep that first little ball. I still have it.

You are an inspiration.